photo norcaltopbanner_zpsdd5d072f.jpg

Go Back   Norcal-LSX > Tech > Misc. Tech > Driveline Talk

Old March 29th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1
EPIK

Default 2005 CTS-V Clutch Pedal issues. PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello all... I registered here a few months back, but haven't posted yet. Some of you may have seen me around Sacramento, I have a silver 2005 Cammed CTS-V. Anyhow, I am having an issue with my clutch & I was checking to see if someone can point me in the right direction?

My issue is, under hard driving, my clutch pedal goes dead to the point to where it is damn near to the floor. For instance, I can get on it from 1st gear & bang 2nd gear, but after that, the clutch pedal is dead & stays that way until I let off the gas, coast the car & the rpms drop down a bit. Also, my pedal just all around feels like I lost some travel, & the clutch feels like it grabs pretty much right off the floor even in normal driving. My trans feels notchier than it used to, & my car is also VERY hard to get in reverse at times. When I 1st start the car up in the morning, I actually cannot get into reverse at all unless I throw it in gear before I start the car.

I thought the slave cylinder was my issue, so I replaced that about 1k miles ago, but it still feels the same, if not worse than it did with the old slave. My clutch kit is an LS7 with roughly 12-13k miles on it, & everything else trans related is stock.

Does this sound like a Master Cylinder issue, clutch issue, or an actual transmission issue? My car has 62k miles on it...

Thanks in advance!
EPIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2
EPIK

The car is currently my DD & I am worried that this issue is may be damaging the trans itself, also its getting VERY annoying...

I would like to see if I can find an expert locally that can look at the car & help diagnose my issue, because times are hard & I don't really have the $$$ to just throw parts at it... If anybody knows a reputable mechanic or shop that knows a lot about LSX hydraulic setups, please LMk... Thanks again,

-Dustin
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #3
krazykorean35

Dead pedal aka it just stays on the floor and you literally have to use your foot or hand to bring it back up?

Master Cylinder/fluid issue. Not familiar with how the fluid line is routed in the ctsv but in an fbody its conveniently located inches from the headers so the fluid gets nice and hot and breaks down and becomes useless. Solution? Get a tick master cylinder, a speed bleeder and some good quality dot 4 fluid.

the "harder to get into reverse" and notchy feeling is probably due to this as well, I'd also swap out the trans fluid with some penzoil sychromesh (had good experience with that fluid)

hope that helps.
krazykorean35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4
EPIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykorean35 View Post
Dead pedal aka it just stays on the floor and you literally have to use your foot or hand to bring it back up?

Master Cylinder/fluid issue. Not familiar with how the fluid line is routed in the ctsv but in an fbody its conveniently located inches from the headers so the fluid gets nice and hot and breaks down and becomes useless. Solution? Get a tick master cylinder, a speed bleeder and some good quality dot 4 fluid.

the "harder to get into reverse" and notchy feeling is probably due to this as well, I'd also swap out the trans fluid with some penzoil sychromesh (had good experience with that fluid)

hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply.... Yup, that is pretty much how the pedal feels...

The fluid & slave were swapped out about 1k-2k miles ago. As far as a better master, unfortunately there is NOTHING available for CTS-V's. I called Tick & they don't make anything for V's... SUCKS!!!! LOL...

What is the point on owning a cammed V if you can't drive it hard? LOL
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
krazykorean35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIK View Post
Thanks for the reply.... Yup, that is pretty much how the pedal feels...

The fluid & slave were swapped out about 1k-2k miles ago. As far as a better master, unfortunately there is NOTHING available for CTS-V's. I called Tick & they don't make anything for V's... SUCKS!!!! LOL...

What is the point on owning a cammed V if you can't drive it hard? LOL
Yeah, sounds like the ol boiled fluid issue due to the line routing...

There's really nothing other than a stock GM master for the cts?? I find that ludacris lol

I'd suggest getting a speed bleeder and doing the drill mod to the master cylinder that you currently have. pushes a little bit more fluid than the master in stock form, and you can keep the fluid fresh.

This worked for me in my camaro, I didn't want to spend the extra money on the tick so I did that, and I could get some decent passes down the track before I had that notchy shifting and half-dead pedal.
krazykorean35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #6
SOMFormula
Norcal Club Member

Did you drill mod the master?
That works really good, actually.

Also, add a speed bleader and bleed that thing about once a month! Seriously. Headers cook the fluid all too easily.

There is a thread in the Lounge about someone having the LS7 problems. I think he is going to shim it and see if that fixes the "engaging right off the floor" issue.

The Shop
858-1996

Hit them up. They do about 2-3 clutches in F-bodies a week, hahahaha. They got it down to a science.

Oh, and Monster FTW! I wouldn't do an LS7 for anything other than a stock replacement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Pontiac Firebird Formula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1980 Chevrolet Corvette 305V8/TH350 185hp/245lbft
LS1/T56 swap in progress...for a really long time!!!!

SOMFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #7
hawk179

And LS7 clutch works perfect if you know what you are doing, even on modded cars.
hawk179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 04:48 PM   #8
EPIK

Thanks guys. I haven't had the drill mod done yet. I have heard a lot about it on F bodies, but nothing about it on the V's...

The Shop has actually done some work on my car before. They are great guys & do good work..

Well I did figure out one of my issues. I have an LS7 clutch, but replaced my slave with a new LS6 stock unit which I guess requires a shim or spacer to work correctly with an LS7 clutch. This probably explains the notchiness, the trouble getting into reverse, & the low pedal...

I am beginning to wonder if the LS7 clutch is even a good clutch to use with a CTS-V... Yes, the LS7 clutch comes in a 500hp car, & my CTS-V is currently making 420rwhp/393rwtq (which an LS7 clutch can handle), but you have to factor in that the CTS-V weighs roughly 800lbs more than a C6 Z06. Maybe my clutch is part of the issue?

What do u guys think????
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:43 PM   #9
whiteNyellow
Norcal Club Member

The clutch shouldn't be your issue, it's the master cylinder/old fluid.

A quick fix that usually helps my clutch pedals sticking a lot is flushing the clutch fluid or "ranger mod".

Take of the cap to your master cylinder fluid reservoir if the fluid is black that is a problem. LOL Simply get a turkey baster or some type of syringe suck the fluid out replace with DOT 4 fluid pump the clucth 10-20 times and repeat until the fluid is clear.

Here is a video....

This should help a lot I do it almost monthly and every time I go to the track to prevent my pedal sticking/getting soft with great results.

Ultimately an upgraded master cylinder would be the best thing to do but if no one makes it....well this will have to do.

Last edited by whiteNyellow; April 2nd, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
whiteNyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:01 PM   #10
EPIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil Z06 View Post
The clutch shouldn't be your issue, it's the master cylinder/old fluid.

A quick fix that usually helps my clutch pedals sticking a lot is flushing the clutch fluid or "ranger mod".

Take of the cap to your master cylinder fluid reservoir if the fluid is black that is a problem. LOL Simply get a turkey baster or some type of syringe suck the fluid out replace with DOT 4 fluid pump the clucth 10-20 times and repeat until the fluid is clear.

Here is a video....

This should help a lot I do it almost monthly and every time I go to the track to prevent my pedal sticking/getting soft with great results.

Ultimately an upgraded master cylinder would be the best thing to do but if no one makes it....well this will have to do.
Thanks for the reply...

Yeah, Ive heard about this procedure, but, my fluid isn't that old, & actually right after I got the car back from getting the new slave installed & all the fluid flushed, my pedal was once again going dead to the floor the same day... so this tells me that although my slave was going bad (it was leaking fluid), it wasn't the only issue with my clutch or hydraulics...

Last edited by EPIK; April 2nd, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:12 PM   #11
whiteNyellow
Norcal Club Member

I see. Well I would really look hard for an upgraded master the stock ones are crap as it is and have a hard time pushing enough fluid for the stock clutch let alone a heavier one.

Hopefully it isn't an issue with your clutch.
whiteNyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:53 PM   #12
EPIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil Z06 View Post
I see. Well I would really look hard for an upgraded master the stock ones are crap as it is and have a hard time pushing enough fluid for the stock clutch let alone a heavier one.

Hopefully it isn't an issue with your clutch.
Yeah, it's pretty unfortunate because there is nothing better out there for the V's....
Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:28 AM   #13
oldrigo
Club Officer

If you didnt change the master i would.. I had good success with a new stock master
Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:19 AM   #14
EPIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrigo View Post
If you didnt change the master i would.. I had good success with a new stock master
I haven't yet, but I am strongly considering it at this point
Old April 16th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #15
SOMFormula
Norcal Club Member

If your going to replace it, I would seriously add a remote bleeder!!!!
This will really help you out later.

BTW, I'm making a more power than you and I'm on my stock hydraulics without a single problem.
Am I upgrading? Yes, to a Tick and Monster clutch. But my stock factory clutch is STILL holding. AND I've beaten the piss out of it (on street tires). My clutch fluid is 8 years old, too!!!!! It was replaced with my transmission while the car was under warranty. I haven't replaced it since. No sticky pedal problem, no clutch slipping.

I have faith in the factory stuff, I really do!

2002 Pontiac Firebird Formula

1980 Chevrolet Corvette 305V8/TH350 185hp/245lbft
LS1/T56 swap in progress...for a really long time!!!!

SOMFormula is offline   Reply With Quote